Friday 20 September 2013

Reader's Response (Final Draft)

Before reading Nayan Chanda’s work on “The Double Edge of Globalisation”, I always thought that globalisation brought about many benefits to this world. From what I learnt in geography, globalisation is the process that increases world-wide exchanges of world views, products, ideas and other aspects of culture.

According to Chanda (2007), globalisation has an overwhelming negative effect on the environment. However, it could help increase world-wide exchanges through new advances in technology.

I agree with Chanda’s view on this matter. In the example given on China’s increasing demand for soybeans, the country turned to Brazil for help to meet their demand. As a result, more than 2.5 million acres of tropical forest were cleared. However, traditional agricultural methods contribute to the loss of forestland too. In the recent Sumatra haze, these practices caused severe air pollution to many neighbouring countries in addition to the loss of forestland.

Through new advances in technology, the Internet enables people to be connected all around the world. I am able to communicate with my cousins in America through Skype even though we are miles apart from each other. It is through this way that we are aware of the latest happenings around the world such as natural disasters and political and economical situations in various countries.

After reading this article, I found out I was wrong. My expectations were for the author to focus more on the benefits rather than the harm that globalisation brought to this world. Now I am more aware of the current situation that the world is facing and I do hope that things will get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment