Saturday 2 November 2013

The Essay Process

Just a few weeks back, our class was given an essay exercise to work on. Upon hearing that the topic was on globalization, I felt defeated.

Firstly, the last time I wrote an essay was four years ago, even though I had the opportunity to write reports during my polytechnic years. Writing essays, in my opinion, was pure torture for me. My weaknesses in the past was trying to hit the word count and putting my thoughts into words.

Secondly, the topic on globalization was like a huge blow to me. I admit that I do not read the newspapers often, so being tasked to write something that requires a certain amount of world knowledge was a huge challenge.

However, despite all these barriers, I managed to complete my essay within the requirements stated and I am proud of it! I was able to achieve this because of the exercises leading up to the essay, such as reader’s response, thesis statements and a summary on globalization.  Through these exercises, it worked like a bridging course from what I have learnt in past and what is required at the university level. At the same time, it built up my confidence to tackle this assignment.


If I was given a chance to do this assignment again, there is something that I would do differently and that would be to spend more time researching on the topic and read up articles relating to globalization.

No comments:

Post a Comment